All Articles

Dartmouth Defeats Yale With Late Header

By D.F. Pendrys

NEW HAVEN, CT – The Dartmouth Big Green women’s soccer team won on a late in regulation tally to stun the crowd at Reese Stadium Saturday afternoon breaking the 1-1 tie that had been in place for much of the game. Allie Winstanley sent a perfect cross to Hannah Curtin who headed it into the Yale net at 87:41.

The other goals in the game came in the first. Dartmouth struck first feeding the ball up the field well, and Hannah Curtin got clear and shot it on the ground past the keeper at 7:31. Within moments of that tally though Tina Teik was in position on the left and she sent a cross to the middle which Alanna Butcher kicked in diagonally while on the run to tie the game at 7:48.

Not long afterward Kristen Enriquez stopped a Dartmouth run and Yale had a free kick on net though nothing came of it offensively. Each side had had their chances aside from the goals in the first fifteen minutes.

At around 19:28 Dartmouth’s Allie Winstanley let lose a shot and Yale’s Marisa Shorrock had the save. Later Sarah Jordan of Yale and Tracey Mills of Dartmouth disrupted opposing attacks. Grace Rorke came away with a free kick after Yale fouled a Big Green player but a teammate shot high. Yale followed this up with a good cross and a shot that was saved by Dartmouth’s Emily Hardy. Another Yale shot followed immediately after. Curtin would stop another Yale attempt to get into the zone when a pass went her way.

Winstanley had a good run into the offensive zone but when a cross pass was attempted Bonta blocked it and about four minutes later had a shot that forced a save.

Grace Faulkner cleared the ball ending a Yale attack with under five to play. At about a minute left, Y18 disrupted a Dartmouth attack and pushed them out of goal area. Given all the back and forth the half would end 1-1.

Yale opened the second half with pressure but Dartmouth held them off. The Big Green’s Aspen Anderson had a clear a few minutes into the frame. Annika Bryant returned the favor by getting to an opponent’s pass and sending it back up the field. Dartmouth had a corner kick at around 54:53 but Yale cleared it. Yale then had a corner kick of their own that Chloe Laureano took but in the chaos afterwards there was a shot but it was saved.

Reina Bonta messed with another Dartmouth offensive effort. Yale had another chance but the shot went wide. The Big Green managed some pressure but nothing came of it. Tina Teik had a shot at 64:58 but it was saved. Kat Grgic then broke up a Yale pass up into the zone and sent it back the other way. A few minutes later D18 broke up another Bulldogs passing sequence. Yale put up two shots not long after but neither found the back of the net. More time passed and with 10 to play Yale managed two more shots but again found no success. Dartmouth in turn at the 6 minute mark had a cross right in front of the net, but mishandled the ball and couldn’t get a shot. Nonetheless at the 87th minute Dartmouth scored the game winner and effectively ended it as Yale’s pressure could not produce the equalizer.

Winstanley and Curtin led the Big Green with 3 shots a piece (2 each went on goal, and each of Curtin’s went in) and Maddie Mills had 2. Dartmouth had 10 total shots and 5 on the goal. For Yale, Teik had 8 shots, and Butcher had 5. 4 of Teik’s shot went on the net itself. Yale ended the day with 10 total shots and 9 on the net.

Emily Hardy made 8 saves for Dartmouth on the day and Marissa Shorrock made 3 for the Bulldogs.

With the loss, Yale’s Loring Family Head Coach of Women’s Soccer Sarah Martinez’s squad falls to 1-11,0-3 Ivy) and Dartmouth’s Stacy and Nick Branca Family Head Coach of Women’s Soccer Ron Rainey’s team rises to 5-4-1 (1-2 Ivy).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s