by D.F. Pendrys
NEW BRITAIN, CT – It would take overtime to settle a game between the UNH Wildcats and the CCSU Blue Devils Sunday as regulation left the teams in a one to one tie. For the first forty five minutes it looked like CCSU would have the upper hand. Erica Bardes had launched a shot diagonally over the keeper into the right corner to give her team the lead at 11:15 and they had remained on the attack throughout.
When the sides changed after half time UNH began a renewed attack and got numerous chances while CCSU did not find as many themselves. Late in the game at 81:57 Francesca Picicci broke in shadowed by two defenders but was able to launch a shot over the keeper to tie it up.
Just a few minutes into overtime Central’s Roma McLaughlin found space and ended it with a long kick which found the twine.
Both goalies, Cat Sheppard of UNH and Caitlin Murphy of CCSU had to make 4 saves on the day.
For UNH, Ella Dudley had 2 shots on goal, Meghan Guarente, Emily Bini, and of course Picicci had one apiece. Keegan Mayer, Alivia Kelly (2), and Abbie Burgess all had at least one shot that did not end up on goal.
For CCSU, Bardes had two shots on goal including her goal, McLaughlin had one obviously, as did Victoria Violette, and Kelly Brady had 2. Abbey Chase also had 3 shots that did not find the goal area.
Central is now 2-1-0, and New Hampshire drops to 1-2-0.
Noticed Contributions (A lot happens on the field and it is not reflected in final stats so what is noted is mentioned here. By no means an exhaustive list, for every play I see there could have been a dozen I missed but it’s an attempt to note what is not noted.)
- Alivia Kelly disrupted multiple CCSU attacks, and had multiple steals and clears as a very effective defender on the day.
- Logan Nicholson disrupted at least two Central runs, and had a steal which started the offensive movement the other way. Also had at least one clear.
- Keegan Mayer had at least one clear and a steal that led to teammate’s offensive chance.
- Anna Hewlett had several steals, including a few which produced offensive opportunities.
- Casey Peterson had at least a few steals and touched off at least a few offensive drives.
- Ella Dudley knocked the ball off a defenders foot out of bounds to produce a corner and also took a free kick on net.
- Roma McLaughlin started off an offensive drive, later fed the ball up the field, and later intercepted the ball at midfield to stop a UNH setup.
- Tess Atkinson blocked a UNH shot and disrupted their offense several times.
- Sydnie Dorman had several clears and at least one steal in the defensive zone.
- Delaney Lawler had at least three clears including one after intercepting a pass crossed into the middle of the goal area. She also had several other intercepted passes.
- Erica Bardes had at least two clears.