All Articles

Men’s Hockey: St. Cloud tops Quinnipiac 3 to 1

Moments before the deciding short handed goal is scored.

By David F.P. [Modest Image Gallery]
(Eyewitness account verified against athletics box score)

HAMDEN, CT- The #14 St. Cloud State Huskies made the long trek to Hamden to take on the #17 Quinnipiac Bobcats Friday night. The result a 3 to 1 victory for the Huskies, cemented by an empty net goal with seconds left to play in the game. In goal for St. Cloud was Dan Dunn who made 21 saves on the night. Quinnipiac’s Dan Clarke made 24 saves even though he took the loss.

The game opened with not that many shots, but at 2:45 the first penalty of the game was called on QU’s Ben Ketchum for contact to the head. St. Cloud came up with a few chances, but at 3:47 Zach Hansen was called for Contact to the head/elbowing to put the Bobcats down by 2 skaters.

St. Cloud’s Ryan Lasch had a close range shot, but Clarke saved it. Another shot by Lasch later was broken up by Mike Dalhuisen. QU killed the first penalty, but was still down a man. Garret Roe made a shot but it was also saved and the second penalty was killed.

Nick Oslund of the Huskies was called at 6:01 for Contact to the head/elbowing now giving QU a shot at a power play. One minute later Scott Zurevinski of QU was put in the box for boarding, and a mere 9 seconds later, Spencer Heichman joined Zurevinski in the box for tripping drawing angry reactions from the crowd. Roe came up with two more shots on the attack but both were saved. The Huskies saw their penalty end and went on the two man advantage.

Lasch struck knocking the puck up and over Clarke into the goal at 8:53 assisted by Taylor Johnson and Roe. At this point QU had put up 2 shots to SC’s 10. The Bobcats were able to kill off the second penalty without incident.

The back and forth continued including shots from Jordy Christian for SC, and a wide shot from Dalhuisen. The period came to a close without further scoring, QU had 4 shots and St. Cloud 15 shots.

Period 2 opened with QU on the attack. In return, St. Cloud’s Aaron Marvin attempted a point blank shot on net but gained no points.

Quinnipiac got on the board at 2:38 when Jean-Marc Beaudoin sent a shot in and it bounced off Russell Goodman and into the far side of the net. Jeremy Langlois also had an assist. The shot ratio was 17:6 St. Cloud.

Later on there was a battle raging in front of the St. Cloud net, where Quinnipiac was fighting to get a shot in, but nothing found the net.

Another back and forth ensued without many shots emerging. Christian tried again for the Huskies but was stopped. On a QU effort, Langlois went behind the net and tried to poke it in.

St. Cloud’s Chris Hepp was called for roughing at 11:02 to put QU on the power play. Hepp had been going at it with multiple Bobcats throughout the night and would continue to after serving his time. Zurevinski’s shot on goal was part of the Bobcats offensive effort, but disaster struck when the Huskies took the puck up the net and Garrett Raboin stick handled past Clarke for a short handed goal at 11:59. Travis Novak who lead the original break got the assist. At that point in the game St. Cloud had 22 shots to QU’s 9. The Bobcats continued on the power play but could not even it up.

QU kept up the pressure with multiple shots, but all were saved. At 17:32 Oliver Lauridsen went in the box for Contact to the head/elbowing to put QU on the power play. The home team managed more shots, but none found the net until St. Cloud killed the penalty off. The period wrapped up with St. Cloud’s 2 to 1 lead, the Huskies had 21 shots, and QU had 14.

When Period 3 opened, SC had some more shots from Ryan Lasch, and Taylor Johnson. Mike Atkinson had a shot for QU as well. Oslund responded with an attempt for SC as well.

The final penalty of the game was called on Novak giving Quinnipiac another power play. Loren Barron, Zach Hansen twice, and Langlois all had shots but not one got by Dunn. St. Cloud didn’t take too many shots, but they didn’t need to. Quinnipiac came up with numerous close calls but the puck just didn’t get passed the St. Cloud keeper. The goalie was pulled with under 2 minutes left, and the extra attacker skated out, there were some moments when it appeared they were going to score, but it didn’t happen.

With just a few seconds left in the game, Tony Mosey broke from the QU pack and easily scored on the empty net, assisted by Lasch to close the door giving them a 3 to 1 win. St. Cloud ended with 27 shots and Quinnipiac had 22.

Categories: All Articles, Hockey

Tagged as: , ,