All Articles

UConn wins out over Dartmouth 3-2 in Women’s Hockey

By David F.P.
January 2, 2010 [Modest Image Gallery]

STORRS, CT- The Dartmouth Big Green rolled into Freitas Ice Forum at the University of Connecticut to take on the Huskies in an out of conference match up on Saturday afternoon. In a close back and forth affair, the U of C took the win 3 to 2 with a late period goal as the decider. In goal for the visitors was Mariel Lacina, and for the Huskies Alexandra Garcia, and each would make plenty of saves throughout the game.

UConn took the lead early at 1:22 when Casey Knajdek scored assisted by Cristin Allen and Jessica Lutz. Each side spent time in the other’s zone, though UConn managed many more shots on net than the Big Green. Among the shots, Jennifer Chaisson had a shot early on for Connecticut, and Sue Schmitz one for Dartmouth, an Allen shot went wide, and Dartmouth had some more chances, Amy Hollstein made an attack, teammates Maude Blain and Chaisson connected on a pass but no goal resulted. The first penalty came in the game at 8:06 when Sami Evelyn was called for tripping and Dartmouth picked up a power play chance. At this point in the game Connecticut had 6 shots to the Green’s 1, though they did pick up some chances during the penalty, including from Amanda Trunzo, still the penalty was killed off and each side faced a continued back and forth.

Both teams were called for a penalty at 12:55 when UC’s Michelle Binning went to the box for tripping but Dartmouth’s Kelly Foley joined her for body checking leading to 4 on 4 hockey. At this point the shots ratio was 7 to 1, as Dartmouth had yet to get to many attacks on the net itself.

Sasha Nanji passed to Trunzo on a drive but the save was made by Garcia. Connecticut’s Brittany Murphy broke in on net, but Lacina picked up the save as well. Both penalties expired and the 5 on 5 resumed. Monique Weber skated in on the net as well, but was stopped by the Dartmouth keeper as well. Murphy had two more tries as she got her own rebound on a shot but saves came as well. Trunzo and Sarah Parsons responded with efforts for the visitors. More battling followed though with 2 minutes left in the period UConn had 12 shots to Dartmouth’s 4. Connecticut spent some time in front of the Big Green net and Hollstein got it into the net assisted by Weber for a 2-0 lead. The period wrapped up soon afterward with Connecticut having a 14 to 4 shot ratio.

The 2nd frame opened with a shot attempt by Camille Dumais but it was saved. Allen went in the penalty box for tripping at 1:48, and Dartmouth made Connecticut pay when a slap shot hit Garcia and bounced off, but Erica Dobos pounced on it, hitting it past the net minder assisted by Sarah Toupal and Nanji at 2:18. Each side kept up the pressure and by 5 minutes in UConn had 18 shots to Dartmouth’s 9.

Binning went in the box again for body checking at 6:09 and Parsons slid in on net for a shot, but the save was made, Dumais added an attempt, but the penalty was killed without incident. At 10:02 though Lutz was called for hooking creating another advantage for the Big Green, but Dumais was hit with a holding penalty at 10:32 negating the power play. Nanji lined up a shot and it hit Garcia, but started bouncing oddly towards the net, the goalie sprawled for it, but it still narrowly slid away from the goal and Trunzo added a shot wide, however she was soon in the box for holding the stick at 11:39. Allen attempted to score but was rebuffed and tried again, but to no avail. The Connecticut penalty ended opening a brief 5 on 3, and Binning attempted a shot which went wide, but the first Dartmouth penalty ended as well. Another UConn shot went on net, and an empty net awaited a rebound try, but Dumais scooped up the puck and got it out of danger for her team. Parsons had a short handed attempt but it was also saved. More UConn shots came from Lutz and Allen.

Evelyn was called for holding at 17:54 giving the Green another power play, and they had multiple attempts in succession but all were stopped. At the end of period 2, the score was still 2 to 1 with 22 shots for UConn and 17 for Dartmouth.

Period 3 opened with a bang as Parsons scored at 21 seconds to tie up the game. The teams continued to try to gain the advantage, but Binning picked up a rebound and knocked it over a sprawled Lacina to score at 2:52 assisted by Weber and Hollstein.

Later in the period Garcia picked up a pair of saves when she blocked a shot and then gloved the rebound. Connecticut came up with more attempts. At the halfway point in the period UConn had 26 shots to Dartmouth’s 21. Parsons tried to score again but her attack was broken up by Jody Sydor. Trunzo added a shot attempt but that was saved.

With 1:25 left in the game, the Big Green pulled the goalie giving them the extra attacker. Margaux Sharp and Moira Scanlon added shots but during the assault a pileup ensued which included a lineman taking a spill, a pileup followed as well, and resulted in a penalty on Parson at 34.8 seconds. This took care of the extra attacker and time expired with no further scoring giving the victory to the Huskies.

The two teams will meet again in twenty four hours on Sunday afternoon.

Categories: All Articles, Hockey

Tagged as: , ,